From the “Oh my god, I’m so embarrassed he’s a pipe smoker” file.
2 Mansfielders burned after pipe lighting incident at group home
By Linda Martz • News Journal • June 3, 2009
MANSFIELD — Two adults were taken to Akron Children’s Hospital Wednesday after the clothing of a man living at a Newhope-operated group home caught fire, and a caregiver put the flames out.
Mansfield Assistant Fire Chief Steven J. Strickling said a 71-year-old man living at Watts Group Home, 810 South Main. St., suffered serious burns over a significant portion of his body.
The female caregiver ended up with second degree burns on both hands.
Names of the burn victims were not immediately available. Strickling said the 71-year-old’s name would not be released until relatives are notified.
The 71-year-old was on the porch alone when the fire occurred. “The caregiver had stepped inside to get the gentleman some coffee,” Strickling said.
“He (the resident) was smoking or at least attempting to smoke a pipe, and it appeared that he caught his clothing on fire,” the assistant chief said.
“She had to put him in the front yard and roll him, to put the fire out,” Strickling said.
MedCentral Health System spokeswoman Cindy Jakubick said both were stabilized at the Mansfield hospital, before a helicopter was called to transfer them to the burn unit in Akron.